In 2005 Armenia ratified the Lisbon Convention on Recognition of Qualifications Concerning Higher Education Area in which staff and students can move easily and can have fair recognition of their qualifications.
The Network of National Academic Recognition Information Centres (NARIC) jointly with European Network of National Information Centres on Academic Recognition and Mobility (ENIC) are international networks that aim to promote the professional and academic recognition of higher education qualifications completed abroad.
The NICARM is considered a member of the international network of ENIC-NARIC organizations, which obliged to contribute to the implementation of the challenges mapped out in the Bologna declaration.
The predecessors of the Bologna declaration was the Lisbon convention on the recognition of qualifications concerning higher education in the European region signed on 11 April, 1997, which is deemed as a legal framework of the Bologna process. Afterwards education ministers of four states: France, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom signed the Sorbonne joint declaration on harmonization of the architecture of the European higher education system with the view of:
- Facilitating the mobility of students in the European area;
Improving the competitiveness and attractiveness of the European Higher Education area
On 19 June, 1999, the 29 European ministers of education signed the Bologna declaration which is considered to be implemented by 2010. In 2005, Armenia participated in the Bergen communiqué and among other four countries joined the Bologna process. The main challenge of the Bologna process is to converge the European education into transparent and recognizable system.
As mentioned above the fund NICARM was established with a view of Bologna implementation. The NICARM is responsible for providing information on Armenian and International higher education system to the local and foreign organizations and affiliates.
The tasks to be fulfilled by the NICARM are the following:
- Provide information, advice or formal decision on the recognition and assessment of qualification;
- Provide adequate, reliable and authenticated information on qualifications, education systems, and recognition organizations, public authorities and other interested parties;
- Provide the above-mentioned interested parties with advice, final decision on the recognition of qualifications on the basis of their assessment by applying existing criteria and procedures;
- Provide to citizens information on their rights regarding recognition;
- Provide authentic information on the recognition of HE credentials and qualifications at national level.